Saturday, February 7, 2009

Forgive A-Rod, but the rest is up to uou

"When I arrived in Texas in 2001, I felt an enormous amount of pressure, felt all the weight of the world on top of me to perform, and perform at a high level every day. Back then, [baseball] was a different culture. It was very loose. I was young, I was stupid, I was naïve. I wanted to prove to everyone that I was worth being one of the greatest players of all time. I did take a banned substance. For that, I am very sorry and deeply regretful." -Alex Rodriguez

The guy screwed up. And make no mistake about it, as far as screw ups and bad decisions go, taking steroids is a pretty big one.

Let's be honest though. We all make mistakes, we all screw up, we all make bad decisions, and in the end, we all must deal with the consequences of our actions. In this manor, A-rod is no different then anyone else. He made a mistake and he will have to deal with the consequences.

Note: If you don't ever make mistakes, or screw up, you either a) aren't being honest with yourself or b) perfect, in which case (a) also applies.

What sets A-Rod apart, along with the few others who choose to do so, is that he admitted to his mistakes (Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, as well all the other 103 players who tested positive for illegal substances back in 2003, you might want to start taking notes...). Now that A-Rod he has done so, we all have a choice, and it is an individual choice that we are all free to make.

For myself, that choice is to forgive A-Rod.

Yes, I realize that he made a mistake, one that will no doubt hurt the national pastime that I love. However, I applaud and respect the courage that it took for him to come out and tell the truth, especially when taking into consideration the possible consequences of doing so. In realizing such, I support him in moving forward in his career and hope that he will work hard to regain the trust of not only his fans, but of Major League Baseball fans too. In doing so, I hope that one day he will earn the right to be enshrined in the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame.

Don't get me wrong though, I do not support the use of steroids, and just because you say that you're sorry doesn't automatically earn you a get out of jail free card. Furthermore, if you think A-Rod should be banned from Major League Baseball and the HOF, you are probably justified in your thoughts, and whether or not he will actually ever make it there, I really just don't know.

What I do know is that I've made plenty of mistakes in my life, and if it wasn't for the forgiveness or support of others, I probably wouldn't be who, or where I am today. With that in mind, I would hope that we could all find it in our hearts to forgive A-Rod. Beyond that, whether you choose to support him or push for his banishment, is completely up to you.

-dunkie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only honorable thing A-Rod could have done was to admit to this about 5 years ago. There is no honor in waiting until you get caught 6 years later, and then be forced into explaining yourself. It seems to me, this was an easy decision, and what he said frankly sounds like it was scripted. Scott Boras was probably with him the last 3 days rehearsing what he was going to say. The choice was simple, make the admission, or be hated by the entire world. I don't see how there's courage in making such an easy decision. And why do people like this need to be forgiven? What does he have anything to do with any of our lives that would require the need to be forgiven? Do you see him as a father figure or something? You can be a baseball fan without treating these idiots like gods you know.

Duncan said...

I disagree. I believe their is honor in owning up to your mistakes, be it the day after, a month after, or even 30 years after.

And don't be mistaken, A-Rod could have easily gone the route of Barry, McGuire, or Palmero and not owned up to any thing and he would not have been punished at all by MLB.

As for Scott Boras, do you really think Boras advised him to tell the truth? Doubtful, as the truth doesn't make him more money.

We judge people like A-Rod. If we are so quick to judge people, we should be just as willing to forgive them.

Don't get me wrong, A-Rod isn't an ideal role model. I don't go out telling my middle school baseball players to slap balls out of people's hands on their way to first base and take steroids.

But when someone like him is in the spot light, and he messes up big time, but owns up to his mistake and wants to move forward, I can't help but respect that and support him, as I believe that it sends a positive message to kids.

People can spin this in multiple ways:

"hey kids, take steroids, get caught, say your sorry, and it is all good."

"hey kids, sometimes you make mistakes, big ones at that. but if you own up to them, learn from them, deal with the consequences, people will forgive you and eventually you will be able to move on."

"hey kids, if you make a mistake, your life is pretty much over and no one is going to forgive you and you will never be able to move on."

I'm not trying to make A-Rod out as a god, in fact i'm pretty sure I said he was just like you and me.

-dunkie