Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I'm Back... Sort of.

I'd like to appologize for the lack of posts lately, as I have been off enjoying my second honeymoon with Junior.

Anyways, a few quick updates...

-I bought some new shoes to CrossFit in. Exciting hu? They are the Nike Zoom TRE AD's and actually, they are from Nike's skateboardig line-up of shoes. Why these shoes?

Most workout/running/cross training shoes these days have large, cushioned heals which are ment to absorb shock and lessen the wear and tear on your joints. This is terrific if you are going to be running long distances, but not so great if you are doing things that involve maximizing the force you exert against the ground. In short, the cushioned heals absorb the force, which limits your ability to perform certain things at a maximum level.

Also, a raised heal changes your center of gravity, which causes you to rely more on your quadricps, and less on your hamstrings are glutes. Again, this can be good for things like jogging, but bad for balance, delivering force, and many power/olympic lifting exercises.

Lastly, with many running shoes (and to some degree, even these shoes) the soles are shaped in a way that facilitates a natural roll/rocking motion from heal to toe. This makes it harder to stay on your heals in movments that involve driving through your heals for power.

So why skateboarding shoes? If you think about skateboarding, it is very dependent on manipulating the board through very percise amounts of pressure and force, thus it elimintates any of the things mentioned above.

Oh, and they are themed like the Marty McFly Hyperdunks, which makes them pretty sweet.

-The DJIA is trading below 6,800 right now. On the bright side, Seattle sports have been on an upswing over these last few months!

-The nameless band has taken on the name GALAXY FARM. You can check out some of their songs at http://www.myspace.com/galaxyfarm.

-No speeding tickets lately, which is probably due in part to the fact that I am actually following the speed limit these days. Still, just to be safe, I think I am going to pick up a radar detector since spring is just around the corner (knock on wood). Safety first!

-Despite having somewhat of an odd shaped head, I think I'm going to go back to the shaved noggin circa 2006. I figure between the two showers I take every day and the cost of haircuts/hair care products, I'll be able to save the equivalent of 8 hours a month. That's an extra day off every month! In all seriousness, having a shaved head just makes life easier, just ask Britney.

Wow. What a worthwhile and amazing update. I'm sure you will agree and are extremely excited for my next, worthwhile and amazing update. Stay tuned.

-dunkie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like my Nike Free's. They're only like 6 oz. with almost no cushioning. Those are sweet shoes though. How come you didn't write about TJ Howshmazilly and the return to prominence of Seattle sports?

Duncan said...

I'm trying to keep down the number of 30+ year old men that I have man-crushes on.